Here is a hearty lentil soup using herbs available at this time of year: perfect for cold, wet days like today.
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 large carrot finely chopped
- 1 leek sliced
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- small chilli chopped
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup green lentils
- 1 litre vegetable stock or water
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano
- 1 tbsp chopped winter savory
- handful chopped parsley.
- Gently soften the onions, carrots and leeks in the oil.
- Add celery, garlic and chilli and continue to cook for a few minutes.
- Add tinned tomatoes, stock, bay leaves, oregano and savory, bringing to the boil and then reducing the heat to a simmer with lid on for about thirty minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season to taste and serve with the chopped parsley scattered on top.
- You can also serve with warm bread or garlic bread.