Skip to content
- 2 aubergines
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp tahini
- Large pinch ground cumin
- Pinch ground pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil, to serve
- Chopped parsley, to serve
- Preheat the grill to high.
- Prick the aubergines with a fork and grill them, turning occasionally, until the skin blisters and blackens all over. (They can also be roasted in a hot oven or fried gently to achieve the same effect.)
- When cool, peel off the skin.
- Leave the aubergine flesh in a colander for 15 minutes to drain off excess liquid.
- Pound the garlic and salt until smooth with a pestle and mortar, or whiz in a blender.
- Add the aubergine flesh, lemon juice, tahini, cumin and pepper.
- Whiz or pound to a thick purée.
- Adjust the seasoning and lemon juice to taste.
- Transfer to a bowl, drizzle with oil, sprinkle with parsley and serve with warmed pitta or flat bread.