Skip to content
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2tsp cumin and coriander seeds toasted and ground
- 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 2tsp sugar
- 2 large handfuls fresh coriander
- 1 handful of Moroccan mint
- 1 egg lightly whisked
- 500g (1lb minced beef)
- 50g (2oz) fresh breadcrumbs.
- Heat a dash of oil and soften the onions.
- Put half of the onions in a bowl.
- Add sugar and tomatoes to the remaining onions and simmer for 15 mins.
- Add egg, beef and breadcrumbs to the cooled onions along with seasoning.
- Mix together with your hands and shape into walnut-sized balls.
- Heat the remaining oil and fry the meatballs until golden, before adding them to the sauce and simmer for ten minutes.
- Serve with couscous, warm pitta bread and natural yoghurt.